Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

20-year-old ex-convict tells youths to manage anger.

A 20-year-old convict, Azeez Liasu on Wednesday advised Nigerian youths to always exercise restraint and avoid falling foul of the law, no matter the provocation.

I spent four months at Kirikiri Prison for fighting at a filling station. People should learn from me and never fight. No matter the level of provocation, I will never fight again.

“In the prison, I learnt many lessons from the predicament of other inmates.

“Fighting is not good and if anybody insults you, it is better you run away or report him to the police,’’ Liasu said.

The ex-convict narrated his ordeal to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Lagos after regaining his freedom at the premises of Itire Magistrate’s Court, Lagos.

Liasu was sentenced by the court for jumping bail, after his initial arraignment for allegedly assaulting a man at a Total Filling Station in Ajegunle, Lagos.

He reported me to the police and I was charged to court. I was granted bail a few days later but decided not to come to court subsequently because the complainant was consistently absent.

I thought since my family had appealed to him and he had agreed to discontinue the case, there was no need for me to appear in court again.

But to my surprise, I was re-arrested and charged for jumping bail,’’ he said.

Liasu was brought from Kikrikiri Prisons to the court on Wednesday at the resumed hearing of his assault charges, he went home a free man.

This was because Magistrate A.A. Adefulire discharged and acquitted Liasu of the assault charges and since he had served his four-month for jumping bail, he was allowed to go home.

No comments:

Post a Comment