Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Court dissolves seven-year-old marriage.

A grade `A’ Customary Court in Ikorodu, Lagos State, on Wednesday dissolved a seven-year-old marriage between Shola and Matthew Olayinka over alleged constant beating by the husband.

The Court President, Remi Adesanya, dissolved the marriage following a suit filed by Shola on Oct. 3.

The court tried to reconcile the estranged couple because of the two issues to the marriage but they failed to reconcile with each other.

To avoid continued battery between the couple, the court has no option than to dissolve the marriage as the respondent supported the dissolution of their marriage,’’ Adesanya said.

The court president urged the parties to maintain the peace and referred the custody of the two children to the family court for adjudication.

Shola, 28, a hairdresser told the court that her husband usually beat her.

My husband has not been caring for me and the two children to the marriage, aged five and two. He is not a caring husband yet he beats me always.

I have been responsible for the upkeep of the children right from birth. I usually cook for the family without my husband’s support but he compensates me with beating, Shola said.

The petitioner pleaded with the court to dissolve their marriage, saying that her husband did not understand the word “love”.

I want the dissolution because I realise that I and my husband are not compatible and I cannot continue to suffer unnecessarily,’’ Shola said.

The respondent, Olayinka 32, a transporter, consented to the dissolution of their marriage, saying that his wife was too troublesome.

Shola usually goes to parties without my consent and she keeps late nights. She also disrespects me as the head of the family,” Olayinka said.

No comments:

Post a Comment